Band’s Visual Perspective

Performing Your Song left to right: Runner- Ashley Myers, Bandfront- Jetta Schnoke, Julia Niemi, Becka Readinger, Amanda Myers.

Elektra Mease, Staffer

Being apart of the band can be fun even without an instrument. At Pine Grove Area High School, there are many things you can join. One of those many things is band. Now if you don’t like playing an instrument, there’s another option- band front. Within the group, you can pursue dreams of twirling a flag with the band for your school. Here in Pine Grove,our band consists of 8th-12th graders. This year there are 14 girls on the squad. Also this year, the squad uses more than just flags, introducing hoops. 

The overall squad leader is Amanda Myers, who has been in the program since she was in 8th grade. “It’s a great experience and a great way to meet new people and to improve your leadership skills for those who want to do an extra activity while in high school or just for fun.” Myers states. The band front program would not be able to run without their  leader, Mrs.White. “Being band front advisor for 5 years now has been quite an experience.Working with 15 plus girls can be a bit of a challenge at times, but the relationships I have formed with the girls keeps me coming back.”

Band Front completes the Cardinal Marching Band by adding color to their music. Every year the songs are different so the movements of the flags become different. The girls can go from twirling a flag in so many different ways in one moment to throwing hoops in the air the next. It takes hard work to learn but it’s worth it for the Band. “The band front adds a spark of color and puts a visual aspect to our band,” Mr.Gibson says.