Opening the Door for Local Kids

The Open Door Project building.

Hallie Wolfe, Staffer

“When I was growing up I felt displaced as a child and my life lacked emotional safety,” says Ann Wolfe. “I know what it feels like to be a lost little kid and feel like no one sees you for who you are. From the heartache of that personal journey, came a compelling desire to help ease that same heart ache in as many children as I can. Even children who have a strong emotional support system at home, benefit greatly from a safe place of fun, creativity and belonging.” The Open Door Project non-profit organization created to be a strong positive presence for the children in the community. The vision was birthed through Ann Wolfe, and was made possible by a team of like minded people who wanted to help make a difference.  Starting the Open Door Project entailed finding a location, renovating the space, gathering permits and licenses, creating a board of directors and by-laws, and generating support in the community to help fund and support the mission.  

The Open Door Project has currently 3 weekly programs with an average of about 80 kids all together. The first program is Tuesday, right after school until 4:30 for “Kids’ Coffee Shop.” The shop is decorated perfectly for kids, with bright colors, fun snacks, inspirational quotes, and music; it’s the perfect environment for kids. When the kids come, they get a free drink, homemade cookies, and the ability to hang out with their friends. The second program is “Kids’ Night” which starts at 6:30pm and ends at 8:00pm and is also the longest running program. The kids and helpers spend the evening participating in circle time which involves discussions about their feelings that they see around them. After that, Ann Wolfe teaches a short lesson. This week for example she read a book called, “Worry Says What?” by Allison Edwards about a little girl who feels like worry has set up camp in her mind and has become the boss of her. She learns that she can force worry to leave by telling him the truth. The children gathered around a cardboard campfire pretending to roast marshmallows, and talked about how they feel when worry sets up camp in their own minds. “Kids night” is for kids of all ages. “Every kid from a 4 year old to high school kids find hope comfort and joy by participating in the program,” says Ann Wolfe. The last program is called “Shine Girl.” Shine Girl happens every Friday morning at 6:30 until 7:15 a.m. This program is geared towards middle school girls and focuses on teaching them about their worth, strength and purpose. Every Friday morning, the girls arrive and are treated to cappuccinos with whipped cream and sprinkles, a yummy breakfast, and a small gift. They hear a small inspirational lesson and take notes in their personal journals. The atmosphere is bright and lively, full of positivity hope and belonging. This is the second year of Shine Girl and 7 PGAHS girls make, serve, and clean up breakfast for their community service. “The goal is to continue to incorporate teenagers to our programs as volunteer staff for the purpose of mentorship as well as providing an opportunity for them to gain life skills in the field of children, food service, and lastly offering them a place to give back to the community in which they live,” says Ann Wolfe. 

“My life quote is, “Blessed is the influence of one true loving human soul upon another,” by George Eliot,” says Ann Wolfe. “It is my belief that the course of someone’s life is changed by the positive investment of another human, who sees your value and believes in you. It is my hope to leave a legacy like this in the lives of the children of PG.”