Going into Adulthood

Kayla Massey, Staffer

As of yesterday, I turned 18 and honestly I don’t feel much different. Some people may say I still look like
a freshman. Most people are excited to turn 18, because of the exciting new things you can do like get a
tattoo, register to vote, and buy lottery tickets. All that stuff is cool, but you have to look at the other side
of turning 18. You have a lot more responsibility. Soon you will be moving out and have to pay for your
own rent. Eventually you will become a parent and have to take care of your children.
The difference between the ages of 17 and 18 is just the number change. I still feel the same as I did
when I was 17. I feel no change whatsoever. I like being 18 because I get a little more freedom than I did
when I was 17 and younger. Another reason I like being 18 is it means I’m coming closer to graduation.
There are a lot of perks that come with being 18 and there are also a lot of disadvantages. Some
disadvantages are getting and keeping a job, no longer being a child, and having to take on a lot more
responsibilities. Some advantages are being able to stay out later, being able to vote, and getting your
full drivers license. Some more perks of being 18 are being able to enlist in the military, open your own
bank account, and getting better job opportunities. Being 18 isn’t as bad as I thought, I guess you have
to grow up someday.