Three Years Down. More To Come

The students pose for a picture after attending their last session of the day.

Kayla Massey and Rachel Sarge

On Monday, November 4th Pine Grove’s Cardinal Chronicle members went to Columbia University in New York. On this trip the students participated in sessions learning about different elements in journalism. Co-Adviser Mr. Jason Dusko states, “The trip was excellent, the weather was great, and there was a great variety of different courses to choose from and overall it was as good as every year that we have attended. This was our 3rd year attending and overall, I think the trip was a great success.” The students got to pick their classes for Columbia and staffer Mason Kroh states, “ The classes that I went to at Columbia were somewhat effectful. My first class was, ”How To Up Your Instagram Game” and the speaker was Sree Sreenivasan, and I learned how to properly caption my Instagram posts. The rest of my classes were close to this.” Some of the speakers that Pine Grove’s Cardinal Chronicle members saw at CSPA were Sree Sreenivasan, Chris Waugaman, and Mike Simmions. 

“I thought it was really nice and it gave the students a good opportunity to learn more about ways to up their journalism articles and pictures. This was my first year attending this event and overall I think the speakers were great,” states Ms. Malarie Munden. The Columbia Scholastic Press Association Fall Conference has been going on for 80 years. Fifteen students from our Cardinal Chronicle staff attended the trip to Columbia University in New York. Staff member Elektra Mease has gone the past 2 years to the conference and she says, “The classes were different from last year and there were a lot more people. But, overall I think the trip was really fun.”

All the classes at the conference had great elements, key points, and were really helpful to make our newspaper better. They showed the students how to have better quality in our articles and pictures. At the end of the trip, the students were happy with the results of the classes and can’t wait to attend the trip next year.