Letters to Santa

Mackenzie Motter helping Zeus with his Christmas letter to Santa.

Katie Seiverling, Staffer

For the past 15 years, kindergarteners have joined Mrs. Hughes’s classes for one day a year.    This special day, is when kindergarteners are helped by high school students to write letters to Santa Claus and create cards for alumni who are currently serving in the U.S. Military.  

“I enjoy spending time with the elementary students. They always have something funny to say.  I’m glad I got to help them tell Santa what they want to for Christmas,” said Sydney Griffiths.   The students were prepared for the event by having their Christmas lists and colored pages ready. When the kindergarteners came to the room the high schoolers went up and got the first Kindergartener they saw. When the high schoolers took them back to their seats they started to ask their names and introduce themselves. Each high schooler actually got pretty close to their little kindergartener.  “It was fun to see how excited they were to write their letters and to help them,” said Gabby Brown.

After Christmas letters were written and cards colored, both the kindergartners and high schoolers were able to spend some time together and color. There was never a dull moment with these classes being together. Christmas music was playing and the kindergartners were either singing or dancing.  This was a good way to get into the Christmas spirit and for the kindergartners to get excited.