How Long Should School Days Be?

The debate on how many hours students should attend school a day continues to move throughout the state.

Shyla Brown, Staffer

Students go to school an average of six and a half hours a day in the United States, which is around thirty two hours a week. Some schools in the United States go longer than six and a half hours and some go less, it all depends on what state you live in and the required hours per day. The question that is often asked is, “Should school days be shorter?” There are many pros and cons to this question, leaving the answer unclear. 

Going to school for six and a half hours can be stressful for some students. Students often complain about being tired and stressed from schoolwork. When the long day of school is over, students go home and have to do more schoolwork. This can be hard because some students have activities after school like sports and clubs. Long school hours can reduce time for activities outside of school. Reducing the hours of school would leave less time for learning, but more time for activities. Students would be less stressed and have more time for themselves with less hours of school. 

Personally, I’m not sure what the right answer is. There are also other solutions to the issue such as homeschooling. I think school can often be stressful and I can see why people want to reduce hours of school, but I can also see why people wouldn’t want to.