Cardinal Chronicle

On Your Mark, Get Set…

The+track+coaches%2C+from+left+to+right%2C+Coach+Readingher%2C+Coach+Salen%2C+Coach+Gradwell%2C+Coach+Herring%2C+and+Coach+Daubert%2C+speaking+to+the+2019+track+and+field+athletes+about+their+expectations.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

On Your Mark, Get Set…

The track coaches, from left to right, Coach Readingher, Coach Salen, Coach Gradwell, Coach Herring, and Coach Daubert, speaking to the 2019 track and field athletes about their expectations.

Keith Koppenhaver

Keith Koppenhaver

Keith Koppenhaver

Keith Koppenhaver, Associate Photo Correspondant

As Track and Field season is approaching very quickly, the Cardinals athletes look forward to one of their favorite seasons. Track has different areas that athletes can excel in. These events include: short and long distance running, hurdles, high and long jump are the track events coached by Mrs. Daubert and Mr. Gradwell. The Field events, being discus, javelin, and shot put, are coached by Mr. Herring and Mr. Salen.

The outlook for the Cardinals season is very high. Many of the athletes have personal goals to reach districts or even states. “I think we are going to have an uphill battle when it comes into the individual meets, but we have a number of competitors that can excel when it comes to the postseason,” said Mr. Herring, one of the two throwing coaches. Having only a few athletes being state qualifiers in the past seasons, the Cardinals would like have more athletes qualify for states. Many athletes have the potential this year to make District XI qualification and even state qualifications. “It would be great for me personally to make states and our school to be recognized for our accomplishments and our hard work we put in,” said Ricky Newcomer, junior.

Many of the Cardinal Track and Field athletes are returning again this season, but many new athletes are signing up to participate in one or more of these events. With the coaches help, many athletes will see which event fits their skill set best to help the team win. The athletes will put their skills to work at their first meet Wednesday, March 27 of the season at Tamaqua.

About the Photographer
Keith Koppenhaver, Associate Photo Correspondent

Name: Keith Koppenhaver

Position: Associate Photo Correspondent

Class Level: Junior

Age: 16

What is on your bookshelf or home screen: Snapchat...

• On Your Mark, Get Set…

Feature

The Struggle of Playing Sports with Hearing Loss

• On Your Mark, Get Set…

Sports

Lady Cards Win Schuylkill League Championship

• On Your Mark, Get Set…

Sports

Softball Girls are back in the League Championship Game

• On Your Mark, Get Set…

Sports

Lady Cards Stand Tall on Senior Night

• On Your Mark, Get Set…

Sports

Lady Cards Defeat Lourdes

• On Your Mark, Get Set…

Sports

Lady Cards Continue Win Streak

• On Your Mark, Get Set…

Sports

Senior Becomes First Pine Grove Softball Player to Achieve 150 Career Hits

• On Your Mark, Get Set…

Sports

X-Plosion Travel Softball

• Sports

Lady Cards Keep the Win Streak Rolling

• On Your Mark, Get Set…

Sports

Lady Cards Softball Top Bulldogs

The Student News Site of Pine Grove Area High School
On Your Mark, Get Set…