Middle School Goes Into The Woods

Kaleigh Sohn, Staffer

“It’s a labor of love and it takes many people (and a musical village) to put all of the puzzle pieces together,” said Middle School musical director Shannon Shughart. During the last three months the Middle School musical season was in full swing. Director Mrs.Shughart and Assistant Director Mrs.Tucker have each put at least one hundred hours into their production of Into the Woods Junior. Since January, when they had their auditions time has been contributed by lots of different people, from parents to the students themselves. “Casting the show may take multiple hours or days because it’s one of the most important and difficult steps of the process.  We then review everyone’s schedule of afterschool activities and create a rehearsal schedule that works for the majority. We spend approximately 75 hours rehearsing over 3 months, along with the many nights and weekends that we shop for props, paint scenery, create costumes, etc.”

“The product of all the hard work put into the musical was worth it on so many levels. The bonds that were created and the new found respect that they now have for one another is incredible. I would feel very incomplete as a human if musical theatre were not a part of my life.” said Shughart after the last performance.

Tech Week is the most critical time during the musical season. During tech week many helped make the production what it was. “Mr. Gibson, Ms. Pugh, Mr. Mansilla, Ms. Brixius, and Mrs. Fenstermaker all stopped in to offer help at tech week rehearsals.  Many parents worked on costumes, scenery, and props for us, as well as managing concessions, ticket sales, and raffles during the show weekend. Cardinal Spotlight Theatre loaned us some costumes. Nick Christensen volunteered his time to teach our young stage crew members how to operate the sound and lighting equipment,” said Shughart