School to Work

Dominick Sgrignoli- Carricato

Nick Luckasina signing out of school to go to his job at Ace Hardware.

Cameron Rittenbaugh, Staffer

Five days out of the week, students wake up, get ready, and head to school. Throughout the day these students take about 6-8 classes consisting of tests, essays, worksheets, and any other work they are told to do. By the end of the school day, most of these students just want to go home and relax. But for employed students, this is not an option the majority of the time. It just isn’t reasonable to have a student finish an eight hour school day and then head directly to work afterwards. Thus, school-to-work is provided.  

School-to-work is designed to assist students who have jobs. This system allows employed students to leave school before 2:45. Students also receive credits in place of the classes they must achieve for graduation. With this, students can work for an income and not be academically penalized for doing so. Students are also kept in check because the school reserves the right to revoke school-to-work privileges. The school can do this if a student is fired, fails courses, or gets in trouble in school. School counselor, Mr. Gradwell described the program as,  “a stepping stone to prepare them for life after school.”

The general consensus of the 29 employed students at Pine Grove is that school-to-work is definitely beneficial. Nick Luckascina, an everyday worker and student athlete, stated, “School-to-work allows me to leave at 11:30 everyday. I get to clock-in a few hours of work before going to football practice at 4. So, it’s super convenient.” There are many other working students who agree and are grateful for the program.” Cassie Wolfe said, “I love it, because I finished all my credits, I don’t have to take fill-in classes that are a waste of my time and I can make money for the future.”

Although most students enjoy having this opportunity, some also see the downside. “I go to school, then I go to work at 11:15, then I get done work at 5 and then I go right to cheerleading practice.  I don’t get home until 8:30/9 o’clock sometimes. It’s hard with school work and practices,” says Kaitlyn Koppenhaver. When asked if he would change anything about the program, Gradwell responded,“ I wish we had more communication with the employers.”