Rho Kappa History Honor Society Added to Short Honors List

Autumn Behrent

Ms. Breiner, advisor of History Club and Rho Kappa History Honor Society teaching her Honors American History Class.

Hannah Reiter, Staffer

Pine Grove Area High School is different from many schools in the county. Most schools offer different honor societies for different subjects. For example, there are Spanish Honor Societies, English Honor Societies, and many more. However, Pine Grove has only offered one honor society- National Honor Society. This was a very general society that was offered to juniors and seniors that achieved a overall GPA of 95% or higher. This was difficult for students to achieve considering that they had to maintain high grades in all their class in order to achieve a high overall GPA.

Now, teachers are working together with the administrative staff to create honor societies in different subjects. Monica Breiner has now created the first honor society pertaining to one specific subject. She has established the History Honor Society, or the Rho Kappa National Social Studies Honor Society. “It is exciting to be able to recognize students who excel in the field of Social Studies.” says advisor Monica Breiner. Starting a National History Honors Society has been a long time coming for our district.To be asked to become a member into the Rho Kappa National Social Studies Honor Society, students must have completed their history courses with at least an 86%, which includes electives, and have a 90% cumulative grade point average. Although many students may be asked to participate in this, only a few will be selected, since it is extremely competitive.

Once students are asked to fill out an application to be a member, they will fill out their application regarding their involvement inside and outside of school, the courses they take, and other important decision making information. Students are warned that even though they received an application, it does not guarantee membership. Due to only a few students being picked, this drives students to pick out their qualities that make them shine as a student and a person in general. Since applications have been handed out, students have been anxious to see who will be picked! “I like this because I didn’t have a chance to get into National Honor Society because I don’t excel in every class, but I was able to get into the History Honor Society because I excel in History. It’s a great opportunity,” says Devyn Biggs