Lady Cardinals Win Home Opener

Abbie Brown winning the tip-off for the Lady Cardinals.

Kolby Geesey, Staffer

The Pine Grove Lady Cardinals jump started their season with a win against the Lady Zephyrs of White Hall. “It felt great getting our first win and it’s a nice reward for all the hard work they put in during the pre-season and first three weeks of practice. However we can’t be satisfied and need to stay hungry,” said new Head Coach, Kyler Burke. The Lady Cardinals starting lineup was Mikaili Donmoyer, Kailen Felty, Alli Butler, Abbie Brown, and Mayomi Dutton. Brown started the Lady Cardinals off by winning the tip-off. Dutton scored the Lady Cardinals first points of the season by making two free throws a minute and a half into the first quarter, giving the Lady Cardinals a two to nothing lead. The Lady Zephyrs would score twice to take the lead over the Lady Cardinals. Butler would later hit a three pointer to bring the game to only a two point deficit. Tayla Olt would make a free throw, with 1:23 left on the clock, to bring the Lady Cardinals even closer and bring them within one point. The score was 8-9 with a Lady Zephyrs lead, at the end of the first quarter.

The Lady Cardinals would start off the second quarter with a three pointer from Butler, which would give them a two point lead. With 4:21 left in the second quarter, Butler would make yet another three pointer and give the Lady Cardinals a lead of 14-11. Donmoyer would knock down a three with 3:14 left in the second extending the Lady Cardinals lead. The second quarter would finish with a score of 18-15. A minute and a half into the third quarter, Butler would make a layup to get the Lady Cardinals started. Brown would make two free throws to further extend the lead to 22-15. With just 52 seconds left in the third, Olt would hit a three pointer to extend the lead to eight. Butler would shoot two free throws with five seconds left on the clock and make both. The third quarter would end in a score of 27-19, Lady Cardinals leading the Lady Zephyrs.

The fourth quarter was underway and the Lady Cardinals were trying to seal the win. One minute into the fourth quarter, Donmoyer would sink a three pointer to give the Lady Cardinals an eleven point lead. With 5:43 left in the game, Butler made a mid range jump shot to keep the Lady Cardinals lead at eleven points. Halfway through the fourth quarter, Butler would make yet another three pointer to further extend the lead to 13. In the final minute, Bailey Dorson would make two layups to ice the game for the Lady Cardinals. Butler would later say, “I think as a whole we played well. We kept our intensity the whole game, and battled on defense. The environment was very exciting with the loud student section.” The Lady Cardinals would win the game against the  Lady Zephyrs 45-37 and get Coach Kyler Burke his first win as the new Head Coach.