Boy’s Basketball First Scrimmage

Coach D’Agastino coaching his players at the scrimmage.

Katie Seiverling, Staffer

The Boys Basketball team started off with a scrimmage going up against Halifax. The first score was made by Jordan Pena, senior, with seven minutes left in the 1st period  making it 2-0. Ryan Culbert, senior, made the next two points to make it 4-0. Halifax was slow in the beginning but to turn it around for them by them getting two foul shots and then only made one. By this foul shot Halifax made the score 4-1. Halifax then hits a three pointer at a 1:45 left. Jordan Pena, senior, comes with a three pointer to make the score tie at 4-4. Dawson Ibarra, senior starter, then hits another three to have Pine Grove in the lead for the end of 1st quarter.

The Cardinals come into the second quarter up by 6, with the score 10-4. The Cardinals started the second quarter with most of the possession. Halifax defense couldn’t keep up with the Cards passing and movement. The points put on the board first was by Dawson Ibarra, senior, with a three pointer to make it 13-6. The points continued for the Cards by Josh Leininger, sophomore, with making a layup. Pena would also follow making another three pointer for the boys to be up 18-6. By the time it was starting to get down to the last minute Andrew Griffiths, senior, hit a layup to have the score 28-6 but just in time with 34 seconds left Halifax makes it 28-8.

The next four periods were score reset, the Cards just were testing the waters with different players. “It was fun because we got to experience some of the younger guys fill in the spots for the players we lost last year like Jacob Leininger but it was good we got a feel for things we were working on and new plans for this season,” says Pena. As the scrimmage went on the younger players had a shot to add to point on the scoreboard. The Pine Grove Area Cardinals and Halifax Wildcats ended the scrimmage with their overall mindset of how their seasons will go. Ibarra says “We played good and that will be the hype for our season.”