Future Journey After High School

Artwork of different options you could choose from after you graduate high school.

Kayla Massey, Staffer

Everyone has their own experiences during their junior and senior years of high school, and going on after college. As for my experience throughout my junior and senior year, I moved here before my junior year of high school started. I didn’t really know anyone but I was able to make friends pretty quickly. My main focus was my classes. I wanted to make sure I passed all my classes and I did exactly that. I didn’t achieve honor roll, but I came pretty close. For my junior year I took some pretty easy classes except for CP Chemistry, which was pretty hard. When I went into my senior year, I decided to take it up a notch and take CP English. As this year goes, I am keeping my grades at an A and B level. If they get anything lower, I will do anything I can to get my grade back up. I made honor roll for the first semester. 

As for me thinking about going to college, I haven’t made that decision yet. I am thinking about taking a year off to figure out what I would like to do and what college I would like to go to. I also might not take the year off and just do online college classes. I feel that if I take online college classes I will be able to work at my own pace and I will also be able to get a job and balance my job and my college work. I am thinking about taking a year off because I don’t know fully what career I want to pursue. There are many pros and cons to the sides of going to college and taking a year off from college. Some of the pros for going to college include furthering your education, no gaps, starting a career, more job opportunities, new experiences, and you can get outside of your comfort zone. Cons to going to college include student debt, getting a job right away to support myself, not being ready, stress,  and jobs don’t necessarily require a college education, as there are successful people without a college education. 

There are also pros and cons to taking a year off and not going to college right away. Some of the pros to taking a year off from going to college include saving money for a good college, figuring out what I want to do, learning responsibility at a different level, being able to submit a more impressive application, and you can earn towards your education. Some cons to taking a year off include the time gap’s possibility of being costly, not wanting to go at all, take a risk of losing momentum. No matter what choice I make, they have pros and cons to each side.