The Middle School Spreads Holiday Cheer Through Music

Henry Andersen, Staffer

“It’s really awesome! You get to be with your classmates and people that you really like,” says Evan Korenda, a 7th grader for the 7th and 8th grade band and chorus. Twice a year, the band and chorus perform a concert open to the public located in the high school auditorium. “Knowing that you’ve worked hard for this concert and finally doing it, it just gives a sense of accomplishment,” says Curtis LaSalle, an 8th grader apart of 7th and 8th grade band and chorus, jazz band, and selective choir.

The Middle School  performed their annual Winter Concert involving the 5th and 6th grade band and chorus, the 7th and 8th grade band and chorus, the jazz band, and the new selective choir. The songs they performed are Christmas themed and made sure to put everyone in the holiday spirit. When Mrs. Shughart and Miss Pugh pick songs for the concerts, they made sure there is a good variety and that there is a balance of difficulty for their students.

There have been some difficulties before the concert since there are tons of kids in band and chorus. “The hardest part for preparing for the concert was probably that since the 5th and 6th grade band has so many people, we split up and couldn’t get a timing right,” says Alexa Brown, a member of the 5th and 6th grade band and chorus and the selective choir. Sophia Wessner, a 7th grader apart of the 7th and 8th grade band and chorus, jazz band, and selective choir said, “The best part of being in the concert is the experience.”  

They have approximately 366 students performing in the concert. “It’s a great experience to be apart of something so big,” says Gabriella Dubbs, an eighth grader part of 7th and 8th grade band and chorus, jazz band, and selective choir. The afternoon, which included much of the middle school student body and many members of the community, left everyone in a festive mood for the upcoming holidays.