Lady Cardinals Sad Season Ending

Felty shooting a free throw.

Kolby Geesey, Staffer

The Lady Cardinals were facing up against the Jim Thorpe Lady Olympians in the first round of the District XI playoffs. Kailen Felty, #12, said, “Being a freshman and starting in the District game, it was very nerve racking. I was nervous throughout warmups but as soon as the game started I was feeling like it was any other game.” The Lady Olympians would break the ice with a pair of free throws taking a 2-0 lead. Felty would strike first for the Lady Cardinals and make a free throw, the score 2-1. Thorpe would go on a 6-0 run and take an 8-1 lead. Abbie Brown, #43, would make a layup to stop the run. The Lady Olympians would end the quarter strong with a 5-0 run and extend their lead to 13-3.

Alli Butler, #15, would start out the second quarter with a three pointer to make the score 13-6. The Lady Olympians would go to the stripe and be perfect, 2 for 2. Mikali Donmoyer, #2, would help make the deficit smaller. The Lady Olympians would take those two points right back with a layup. The two teams would trade buckets on two consecutive possessions and make the score 19-12 at the half. Brown said, “At this point, we still felt like we were in the game and had a good chance to win. We just had to do what Coach Burke said and play as a team and trust each other.”

Butler would also start off the third quarter with another three pointer. The Lady Olympians would shoot two free throws and be successful on both. They would follow themselves up with a layup to further extend their lead. Butler would come back down the court and make a mid range jumpshot. The Lady Olympians wanted to take back the points they gave up and would take two more. Felty would make one free throw in an attempt to start a comeback. The Lady Olympians made a layup to again give them a larger lead. The Lady Cardinals would end the third quarter strong with a Butler mid range, a Bailey Dorson, #51, free throw, and a Donmoyer three to make the score 31-24 going into the fourth quarter. 

Butler would make yet another three to start off the fourth quarter for the Lady Cardinals. The Lady Olympians made a layup and two free throws to get off to a hot start in the fourth. Brown would get fouled and go to the free throw line and make just one. The Lady Olympians would end the fourth quarter on a 9-0 run and would make the final score 47-28. Sophomore guard Donmoyer said, “It was a very good and fun season but we will make sure we work hard to get here next season and have a different outcome.”