For the Love of Broadcasting

Chase Senior taking questions from the Journalism class.

Erik Dubbs, Staffer

“Since I was 5 years old, I remember watching those sports broadcasters and wanting to be up there on the big screen. It was my dream. ESPN was the ultimate goal, and I remember thinking, ‘that’s so awesome, one day, that’ll be me. I was very fortunate to know what I was going to do at such a young age, I had a map, and that doesn’t happen for most people. I went to Temple University, and majored in Journalism, I was involved with so many things. Writing those articles was okay, but being on the screen, interacting with an audience, was the passion,” says Chase Senior, broadcaster for WNEP news.

“After Temple I moved to Illinois to experience a different atmosphere. I had an overwhelming amount of support from my family and friends, and that felt good. I covered everything regarding sports in Illinois. I covered high school football and with the West and sports, you could only imagine how competitive they were. It was intense, but it beats covering men’s gymnastics. This felt as if I were climbing the ladder, with my biggest achievement yet to come.”

After Illinois, Senior saw an opportunity to work for WNEP in Scranton, a huge resume booster. WNEP is regarded as one of the most viewed local news stations in the country. He’s recently covered a broadcast documenting a heron with a fishing line stuck to its leg.

For Senior, sports is the big dream, “There’s nothing more intense than football, that’s why I love it so much,” Senior says. Other than broadcasting and working for WNEP, Senior enjoys woodshop, working out, and listening to rap music. He’s most recently made a table dedicated to his mother’s memory; his mother had lost her battle to cancer a few months ago. “She’s my inspiration,” Senior exercised. “I do everything in her memory.” His advice to future journalists. “Pursue passion, not revenue. Revenue is a byproduct of passion. It will come.” He is excited for the future and continues to pursue his dream to eventually reach the top of the ladder, at ESPN covering football, as a sports broadcaster.