Ms. Mies takes on Pine Grove

Sydney Griffiths

Miss Mies teaching her CP English 11 class.

Tara Mease, Staffer

Pine Grove Area High School just got five new teachers this school year and one of them is Ms. Mies, one of the new English teacher. Even though Ms. Mies knew she wanted to be a teacher as a child; she had help along the way. When she was a senior in high school there was a teacher named Ms. Croceo. Ms. Mies says, “Ms. Croceo was really supportive during the whole process and was a huge role model,” and that she loved her class.

Ms. Mies attended McDaniel College, one of her top three colleges. She enjoyed the small college experience and she’s glad with the choice she mae. Shd feels that she got a good education there. “To be quite honest I never pictured myself being anything other than a teacher,” Ms. Mies explained. However if she could change the subject she teaches she would try different ones for the experience. “I would definitely like to teach history or science anything but math pretty much. I would also do a driver’s ed class for a different take on classroom teaching,” Ms. Mies says.

Ms. Mies was a substitute for almost an entire school year. She explained that you learn a lot going into someone else’s classroom and you learn how to make it work or happen. She says it can be pretty stressful, but a good learning opportunity. “Until you’re actually in a classroom with a student teacher lens, it’s totally different from being a student,” exclaimed Ms. Mies. Ms. Mies found the job opening on a website. “Pine Grove is a really good location and heard good things about the school,” said Mies. Before this all happened She used to live in Maryland for several years and worked as a realtor for a couple months.