Back in Time: Renaissance Faire

Brianna Armstead

Human chess match at Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire.

Hannah Reiter, Staffer

The Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire is a long awaited field trip for students to explore a recreated medieval shire at the Mount Hope Estate in Lancaster County. “It was a lot of fun and the food was very tasty. I enjoyed the day out of school with my friends,” says Dominick Sgrignoli-Carricato   

There were many activities for the students to participate in. Some activities include: palm readings, human chess matches, and shopping in different stores. The chess match is one of the biggest attractions at the Faire. The seats fill up fast, leaving a large crowd around. “I enjoyed watching the play and the jousting, they were really exciting. It was a neat experience to watch my fellow classmates perform,” says Avery Nagle. The day that Pine Grove students went to the Faire, the weather was not ideal, however that didn’t stop students from going out and having fun.

The Faire attracts many visitors, ranging from all over the state. While Pine Grove is only an hour, schools from Hazelton, Schuylkill Valley, and Susquehanna travel to the Faire. The Faire also offers School Days. They allow schools of all sizes to come and explore the Faire where they can see 35 acres of an Elizabethan village from the 16th century. The actors and staff all talk in accents to make it a very realistic experience for all of their visitors.