The Next Generation of the US Military


Cardinal Chronicle

This shows the newest branch of the US Military moving into space.

Levi Bettinger, Staffer

The United States Space Force (USSF)is the newest branch of the US Armed Forces.

According to their website, the USSF is “A military service that organizes, trains, and equips space forces in order to protect the U.S. and allied interests in space and to provide space capabilities to the joint force.” Interests in space could be enemy satellites or reconnaissance from the highest levels of the atmosphere. They would also assist other branches in their own reconnaissance. The newest branch of the Armed Forces, The Space Force, was established on December 20, 2019, and is under the Department of the Air Force. This means the commanding officer of the Air Force is also in command of the Space Force. So why has no one been talking about a new branch of the Armed Forces?

The last time something like this happened was when the US Air Force was separated from the US Army in 1947 after World War II. Many Americans, including the Biden Administration, mocked former President Donald Trump for establishing the Space Force. Netflix even published a new comedy satire entitled “Space Force”, mocking the newest branch of the US Military directly. The main reason no one is talking about it is because they think there is no point to have a separate branch just for the military interests in space. However, some argue there is a definite need for a Space Force because from space, the entire globe can be monitored at the same time ensuring troops overseas are never caught off guard  by an attack. Also the USSF could provide weather forecasts, and disable ICBMs (Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles) headed for the United States or its allies. So what do students at PGAHS think  

Out of fifty students In an anonymous poll by PGACC, 44% have never heard of the Space Force, or know what it does. That leaves 56% of students that said they have heard of the Space Force. Most people said they have heard of the term but have no idea what it means, and five people said something along the lines of fighting extraterrestrials… which is incorrect. Sophomore Chaz Wolfe said, “I’ve never heard of the Space Force but it does sound pretty cool”, which was also a common response in the poll. 

We can all agree that the next generation of the Military is here, and we can’t wait to see where the US Space Force goes from here. 

If you want to submit your opinion to PGACC, Click here ! 

US Space Force official website: 

Sources used: