Readjusting to Hybrid

Sophomore Lilly Barra is rushing to complete homework before her next class period in the lunch room.

Erik Dubbs, News Editor

Pine Grove Area School District has chosen to adjust to a hybrid schedule in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. The politics of returning back to school has been a heated topic for many schools. PGA’s hybrid policy divides the student body into two teams, Red and Grey, to reference their school colors. Students also have the option to study full-time on the Cardinal Virtual Campus (CVC), if they aren’t comfortable coming back to school. 

“The Hybrid Schedule definitely makes me happier,” says Lilly Barra, sophomore at Pine Grove. “If we went back full time I’d be worried about the safety of my teachers, classmates, and family members.” Barra is a member of Pine Grove’s Red Team, “I definitely like the red team more because from what I hear we have less people and that’s nice,” States Barra. “But I do have a few friends on Grey so it kinda sucks I can’t see them as much.” 

“If I had to choose, I’d want to stay on the Red Team because I like the people here. Not to mention I think we have less people, and the size difference is nice.” says Jordan Cooper, senior. “I’m adjusting perfectly fine. But I think it’s affecting my learning in a bad way. Mostly the online part, because doing online doesn’t really hold my focus very well,” voices Cooper on the matter. 

“I like CVC because I can learn at my own pace with no rush, and I can work on my assignments and projects alone in the comfort of my home,” says Katie Quiroz, senior.  Quiroz chose to study on the Cardinal Virtual Campus instead of coming back to  brick and mortar. “In all honesty, I was struggling to understand how to do online and I found it to be difficult at times because I learn better with someone showing me the lesson. Once I got the hang of it, it became easier and I struggled less… if I had the option to return to school, I would go because I can socialize there when I can’t at home. Overall, I am grateful to be doing online during this time,” expresses Quiroz. 

“The hybrid schedule isn’t horrible, I don’t really mind it,” says Alexa Schlein, senior. Schlein is a member of the Grey Team. “Generally, I like the Grey Team more because of how the days are set up and the people that are in my classes. Anyways, the Hybrid is helping me learn because I prefer to learn in person. So if it was all online, I wouldn’t be learning much at all.” Schlein wraps up her statement, “I’d rather be in school the entire time so my senior year doesn’t become a waste.”

McKenna LeVan, senior, has a unique situation. LeVan switched teams right before the school year started to make things easier for her. “I never got a chance to be part of the Red Team, but I do enjoy the Grey Team. I switched because if I didn’t, I was going to be the only one in my AP English class.” LeVan continues, “I’m actually adjusting fairly well. It’s definitely different than what we’re used to, but it’s not as bad as I thought it would be.  I don’t think the Hybrid schedule is affecting my learning too much. I’m still able to do everything I could before, it’s just a matter of actually doing my school work when I get home. I’m just trying to enjoy my Senior Year.”