Woodworking Competition

Students WoodWorking projects from the 2019 WoodWorking Show.

Levi Bettinger, Staffer

Every year, students that take the “Advanced Woodworking” class participate in the annual woodwooding competition at the end of the year. However, the 2020 competition was  canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This year, it is still unknown if the competition will be held. For first year Advanced Woodworking students, this event is supposed to highlight the hard work that all the students put into their project. Some of the projects can cost hundreds of dollars. The students in the competition could win prize money to help pay for their project. 

Mr. Mack, the Woodshop Instructor said “We will definitely have the competition this year. However it will be different this year because it will be closed to the public.” Personally, as a first year Advanced Woodworking student, it’s slightly disappointing that the competition will not be held publicly because I, as well as the other students, have been spending time and money on these projects. On the bright side, students will still have a chance to win money in the competition. 

Woodworking isn’t an easy hobby either. It takes years for someone to become an excellent woodworker, as everything changes between each project. All the students have to take a safety test after they are taught how to use the machines in the shop. Then they have to come up with a project idea and build it. After their project is done, students take it home to sand it and add any details they want. Additionally, students have to design a name tag in Vcarve to be cut out on the CNC machine, which will be used to identify the students’ project in the competition.