Pine Grove’s Star Athletes

Cardinal Chronicle

A photo of Brody Robinson, senior and Shea Morgan, senior, after receiving their awards.

Kolby Geesey, Sports Editor

The Pine Grove Area Football team may not have had the dream season they were hoping to have. During the season there were many ups and downs and the Cardinals never quit. The athletes were consistently working hard and striving for their goals. The Cardinals finished the season with a record of 4-6, but this record does not tell the story of the whole season. Despite the Cardinals not having the perfect season and not exceeding their goals as a team, two senior athletes achieved what they imagined for their own  personal goals.

Shea Morgan, a senior captain, has done incredible work this season and has the stats to back it up. Morgan excels at the many positions he played which include, Wide Receiver, Defensive Back, Kick Returner, Punt Returner, Kicker, and Punter. For his senior season Morgan would put up career high numbers and break three school records in the process. He is the record holder for the most receptions in a single season with 64 receptions, he also has the school record for career receptions with 108 receptions, and he holds the record for the most receptions in a single game with 10 receptions. Finally, he is the all time leader in receiving yards in a single season with 1,019 receiving yards. Alongside his long list of accomplishments on offense, Morgan also had 89 tackles and 2 interceptions in his senior season. Morgan would be awarded the WPPA/ T102 Sands Ford 2020 Football Player of the Year. “It means everything to me knowing that my hard work has finally paid off. I could not have done it without my teammates and it’s an honor to be the player of the year,” said Morgan.

Another one of the student athletes who exceeded their personal goals was Brody Robinson, who was also a senior captain. Robinson was a Linebacker, and would make sure the defense ran smoothly and had a plan. Robinson also holds a few records, all being on the defensive side of the ball. Robinson is the leader in tackles in a single game, with 26 tackles. He also holds the record for most tackles in a single season with 144 tackles. Robinson made sure the opposing team knew he was there and he also added 3 quarterback sacks, and a selection to the PSFCA East/West Small School All-Star game to his resume. Robinson was then recognized for his abilities, and was awarded the WPPA/T102 Aaron’s Rental 2020 Defensive Player of the Year.  Robinson stated, “I would like to thank my family and everyone who was along with me on this journey for pushing me to be the best I can be, and I am extremely grateful to be able to be named the Defensive Player of the Year.”