Raiding Addiction

Tim Rader talking during his presentation about his experience as an addict.

Sierra Sewick, Staffer

All high school students and the seventh and eighth grade classes were sent to the high school auditorium to watch Tim Rader present about his experience as an addict. His senior year was supposed to be a cakewalk for him since he was the football quarterback, played baseball, was in the school plays and was even the Prom King. He was diagnosed with cancer and seeked immediate chemotherapy and was given a prescription for pain relievers. He soon began experimenting with them, taking more than needed because he believed that once he reached adulthood, he could beat the addiction and prove everyone wrong. “I thought I was invincible. It wasn’t like anyone was telling me it would be like this. But that’s what is supposed to happen. Addiction allows you to have fun. Then, just when you think it’s all over, it will rip everything away until you have nothing left. It’s no joke,” said Rader. He resorted to partying and became addicted to his worst demon: heroin. For awhile he thought everything was going to be okay since he still had his job and his soon-to-be wife, Daniella.

Just like that, his whole life crumbled beneath him. All it took was a concerned Daniella who bust through the door to find an unconscious Rader laying in the shower in a pool of blood from a heroin overdose. She left him. Everytime he tried to contact his friends or family, nobody was there. He was all alone.  Soon after he hit rock bottom, he sought help from a police officer who set him up at a good rehabilitation center, where he got clean. “It’s very difficult to get up in front of all you people to tell my story because it’s very painful for me to talk about but at the same time, I need to do this. People are dying.” says Rader.