School Spirit Creates Safer Roads

Art Club completed this mural on a plow donated by PennDOT for their Paint the Plow program.

Rebecca Weidenheimer, Staffer

In preparation of the incoming winter season, PennDOT created a program that allows school students to come together paint a plow that will be used to plow snow off the street within the school district. Each district in Pennsylvania has a topic or saying that must be included into the design, and the design can be used to show school spirit and show pride in a school district. The main reason for PennDOT to create this program is to keep people safe, when driving around plows, but to add fun to it. A message of “Don’t Crowd the Plow” must be painted on the plow in order of the plow to be used.

This year is the Art Club’s first entry in the Paint the Plow Program. The students chose the design created by high school senior and Art Club president Micaela Crochunis. The design shows the cardinal sledding down a hill with a snowy-mountain scene in the background. The design was detailed and would require a lot of work, mostly because Micaela’s design has a focus on perspective and shading. “The shading is rough… If I don’t do it fast enough, then the colors wouldn’t blend correctly,” Micaela said in response to the difficulty of the project. The Art Club students have until October 26 to finish the plow for submission to the PennDOT program.