Cardinals Defend Cage Against Spartans

Quinn Broomer, freshman, looking to score while Damon Seiverling, freshman, cheers as the ball goes past the goalie.

Rachel Sarge, Editior-in-Chief

The game started out slow with both Pine Grove and North Schuylkill going back and forth with possession of the ball. The Spartans had only 3 shots on goal leading up to them scoring, making the score Spartans 1 and Cardinals 0 with 12 minutes and 17 seconds left in the first half of the game.The Cardinals started to take more possession of the ball at this time and ended up with 10 shots on goal when Quinn Broomer, freshman, scored in his varsity debut. This made the score 1-1, with 9 minutes and 53 seconds left in the half. During the rest of the first half the  possession of the ball went back and forth between the Cardinals and the Spartans. The clock hit 0 ending the first half of play with a score of 1-1.

Pine Grove’s Ethan Hannevig (sr, capt.) says, “We started off a little rough in the first half and it was frustrating. We kept it together and got it done in the second half though. We had a bunch of young guys out on the field and they really stepped up. We showed how deep our team really is and how dangerous we can be no matter who is on the field.” The second half of the game Pine Grove took more possession of the ball than North Schuylkill. Going into the half, the Cardinals had 2 shots on goal and on the third shot #9 Ethan Hannevig scored, making it Cardinals 2 and Spartans 1. The Spartans had 5 shots on goal trying to tie up the score but Pine Grove’s goalkeeper senior Landon Schaeffer stopped them all. There was 15 minutes and 17 seconds left in the game when Pine Grove’s Damon Seiverling (fr.) scored, now making the score 3-1. Not too long after Pine Grove’s Ethan Hannevig scored again with 12 minutes and 25 seconds left in the 2nd half of the game, making the score 4-1. Pine Grove kept holding possession of the ball until the clock hit 0 and the game was over ending in a cardinal victory.

At the end of the game, the Cardinals defeated the North Schuylkill Spartans 4 to 1.