Behind the scenes at PGAHS

One of the two large boilers in the High School. They work by burning some type of fuel to make heat. Henry Snyder says, “Amazingly, they are still coal fed.”

Levi Bettinger, News Editor

As the Fall turns into Winter in Pine Grove, seeing the amount of work that keeps the school running is immense. Henry Snyder, Director of Buildings and Maintenance,. “We don’t have anything secret here, these areas are just off limits to students because there is no reason for students to be here,” said Snyder. From the boiler room to the kitchen, the school has many places students hardly get to see. 

There is no secret military base or crazy alien science lab in the High School, unfortunately. Rather, near the gym, are two, large, coal fed boilers, that keep the school heated in the original section of the building. You may have noticed in late October, the school was cooler, and many complained it was too cold. Mr. Snyder explained, “The Boilers are on or off. If we let them run, everyone would complain it is too warm.” That is why the hallway in the area between the woodshop and the gym is so warm in the winter, because the boilers are located in that area. 

Other areas include the Kitchen, where even at 9am, the cafeteria staff is working hard to make hundreds of lunches for the students of PGAHS. Another stop on the tour was the teachers lounge, where teachers can keep their lunch cold and where they can make copies of assignments for students to complete.