Football Family Legacies

Mason Kroh, junior, son of James Kroh stands during the national anthem.

Mason Kroh and Nick Wolff

The Pine Grove Area Football program has had its fair share of family heritage in its history. Three of these families have been consistently some of the best players on their respective teams at the time. 

Members of the Ibarra Family  are some of the most prestigous to come through PGA’s football program.   Mike Ibarra, alumnus ’96,  was a thousand yard rusher during his tenure as running back and corner. Mike said, “It means a lot to me that my kids play football. It makes them a better person as a whole to be able to get through adversity in life and to respect everyone.” 

Mike has four sons, who all play football for his alma mater.  Dawson, the eldest son, was a wide receiver and went to the next level playing at Juniata College before he was injured. Dawson,’19 alumnus, said, “It makes me happy to see my brothers playing the game I love so much. The sport teaches you a lot about life and I’m happy to see them experiencing these moments that they will never forget.”

Colin, the second oldest, recently finished his high school career. He finished with two seasons with over one-hundred tackles and currently holds the 371 tackle record for the program.  Brodie, the third of the children, is currently a freshman who saw varsity time this year as a defensive back. The youngest, Kasen, is currently coming through the Little Cards system and in a few years will be another member of the long legacy of Ibarras to come through PGA.  

The Krohs are another family of players to come through PGA’s football program. James Kroh, ’98 alumnus, said, “I think it’s so cool to see Mason play under the same lights and on the same field as I did when I was in school! Football meant a lot to me as a child growing up and watching him play I can tell it means just as much if not more to him. Being able to see him go out there and play a sport we both love is awesome!”  

During James’ tenure, he played center.  Most of Mason’s  high school career he’s been lining up behind center at quarterback.  Both Krohs started on Varsity as freshmen. Mason is currently a junior and was recently named Co-offensive Player of the Year (lead the team in total yards and total touchdowns).  Mason said, “I started playing football because of my dad. When I was little, before I even started playing (Little Cardinals) we would throw football in the yard and watch NFL games together. I think it’s cool that I’m able to play the same sport for the same school my dad did.”  

The Lehmans are another family that has been well represented on the PGA football field. Their legacy stems back to Mike Lehman, ’88 alumnus, who was a physical runner and defensive player. Lehman’s three sons have played for the program as well. Mike said, “It makes me happy to see my kids playing the sport I was so passionate about and gives me pride to see them perform well. I love coming to watch my boys play on Friday because I know how passionate they are for this sport.” 

Lane, a running back and Swiss Army knife on defense, is the youngest and a sophomore who has seen time at the Varsity level.  Lane received Co-Offensive Player of the Year (500 rushing yards) this year and has enough time accumulated to achieve letter status.  Lane said, “Football is an important part of my life. My family loves sports but football is big. My dad and 2 brothers (Ty ’12 alumnus  and Garrett ’18  alumnus) played and I’m now playing. I think it’s cool that we all played in Pine Grove . I wear number 33 because my dad and brothers wore it.”