Mullet Review

Mason Kroh

Adam Burke’s mullet glistening in the sunlight creeping through the back windows of the east wing of the Pine Grove Area High School building.

Javin Ward, Staffer

In 2021 and especially during the pandemic the comeback of an old and unique style of hair was again at the forefront of hairstyles: the Mullet. Carter Raudabaugh, junior, said, “I grew mine out because it was a trend for football players, but I liked it and decided to keep it.” 

While many believe mullets first became popular in the 1980’s, It has been a hairstyle for many years longer than that. Hundreds of years in fact. While not looking like the mullets we have today, the short on top and long down the back hairstyle has been rocked by many cultures since the beginning of civilization

According to Linda Lacina’s article The Mullet Wasn’t Just An ‘80s Thing: Rebels Have Rocked It for Centuries “Ancient warriors used to have short hair on the top of their heads to better fit their helmets, but had long flowing hair that went all the way down their backs. In the 18th century mullet like wigs were worn as a sign of great status and power. In ancient Rome, chariot racers would have long mullet styled hair, styled just like the barbarians that harassed their city.” 

Today, the mullet has come back as a tribute to the cool 80’s haircuts of the past. They really began coming back during March of 2020, the beginning of Covid. Growing out your hair long and not getting it cut was a signature look at the time. In order to give all that hair a way to look decent, the mullet made it’s return. Adam Burke, junior, said, “My girlfriend digs it.  I love the luscious locks it (my mullet) brings out the party in me.”