School Spirit Alive in Winter Cheerleading

Denise Schneck

The girls at a boys basketball game doing a cheer during a full timeout. Emily Zimmerman ,junior, is flying on Katie Herring ,junior, and Taylor Wright ,sophomore, as a “ one man “ stunt. The second group is Kierah Harwi ,sophomore, flying on Fifetta Randazzo , freshman, and Kaitlyn Kauffman, sophomore.

Kierah Harwi, Staffer

Winter Cheerleading is a winter sport associated with Boy’s Basketball and Wrestling. The Winter Cheer Team this year has a total of 10 Varsity girls and can be found at every boys home game and home wrestling match. Members of the cheer teams support the players on the sidelines along with the students. The student section often helps the cheerleaders in getting the boys ready for a game or spirited while they take a foul shot or pin. 

Denise Schneck, Head Cheerleading Coach, says, “ We enjoy sitting in the gym and getting fans engaged more than we could have on the track during Football season.” 

Coach Schneck continues, “There is less dancing, no travel; sometimes multiple events in the same week, it keeps us busy.” Winter cheer often has several different games during the week along with practices.

Coach Baylie says, “ Cheerleading is a great way to build confidence, self esteem, and make lasting friendships. It’s also a great time for the team to engage in the community and pass the PGA spirit forward. 

“We also improve every time possible, we always are hitting a new stunt or learning a new dance/cheer. Coach Kelsey Fidler, Assistant Coach, says, “ One goal I have for this season is to get every stunt group hitting all their stunts consistently.”