Placing 3rd at League Competition

Cardinal Chronicle

From left to right: Julia Nemi, senior, Harlee Yesenosky, senior, Layla Johnson, freshman, and Kaya Wagner, junior.

Killian Skocik, Staffer

“On February 5th, Pine Grove Area JROTC went to Cumberland Valley to compete in a Drill Competition. We placed 3rd in Armed, Color guard, Inspection, and Overall. We had been training since mid to late September for this competition. Despite some people not being able to make it, I was able to pull in a few backups so we could have a full team,” said Hunter Shunk, senior, is in JROTC and is the Armed Platoon Commander and Drill Company Commander. 

This is the first time in 17 years that the JROTC Drill Team has placed in the top 3. 

For Shunk and his team achieving third has always been a goal. “Shows we have improved over the years, even the freshmen,” stated Shunk.

Isaac Spichiger, senior, is another student a part of the JROTC team. “My role was commanding the unarmed team so that Hunter didn’t have to memorize both routines. And this more or less was given to me at the last minute I didn’t know or want to command but at the beginning of this year I was told they needed a commander. As much as I want to say yes we more or less are trying to promote leadership and teamwork in our team which is way more important to us. Winning is one thing but the team itself is more important.”