Lady Cardinals Volleyball Win Their First Ever Schuylkill League Championship

The Lady Cardinals Volleyball Team wears their gold medals and smiles for a picture after winning the Schuylkill League Championship game. Kailen Felty, senior, holds up the trophy. “As a team we have worked very hard this season,” said Skyler Shannahan, junior.

Kaya Wagner, Staffer

“It feels very rewarding to be a part of the first ever Pine Grove Area Girls Volleyball team to win a league championship. At the beginning of the season I was worried because we are such a young team but we proved that hard work, dedication, and giving it your all can get you really far,” said Kailen Felty, senior. 

The girls were playing their hardest, the student section was cheering, and the Lady Cardinals won their first Schuylkill League Championship in the program’s forty-four year history against Nativity.  

The team played four sets total. They won the first set with a score of 25-18, and then won the second set 25-23. Nativity won the third set 25-10, but this did not stop the Lady Cards from victory, who came back after the bad set and won the fourth set 25-13. Overall, the team played four sets and defeated Nativity 3-1. The girls screamed, cheered, and some even cried, for their first ever Schuylkill League Championship. 

“They played with confidence. Our hitting was a little rough. Take away the third set, which didn’t go well, but the key thing was we were able to bounce back,” said Coach Krietzer. 

“Winning feels so rewarding and especially because of  how nervous I was. The work paid off in the end and I couldn’t be more happy with the turn out,” said Molly Drumheller, freshman. 

The Varsity team is made up of three seniors, four juniors, seven sophomores, and one freshman. This is a very young team, and one that started as the league underdogs. They proved everyone wrong though, and won the championship. 

“The best part about playing tonight is to see all of the hard work pay off,” said Skyler Shannahan, junior.