Industry to Teaching Technology

McKenna Valentine

Mr. Taylor and Zachary Weaber, junior, share a laugh while Taylor is instructing.

McKenna Valentine, Feature Editor

From going from an industrial job to becoming a teacher, Nicholas Taylor has gained the position of Technology teacher at Pine Grove Area High School. Taylor has gone through a culture shock and it is a new experience for him. 

“…As the school year progresses, I am becoming much more comfortable with the teaching position,” says Taylor. 

Before teaching, Taylor was a free-lance software engineer for multiple companies. Along with that, he would operate forklifts and loaded trucks at the Lowes Distribution Center. He is very thankful to be given the opportunity to make an impact in student’s lives as a teacher. Besides the change, teaching at Pine Grove has been a pleasant experience for Taylor. 

“With help from my mentor, Mrs. Hughes and Mr. Jancelli, the transition into teaching has been very smooth. My students have also been extremely helpful in answering any questions I may have,” says Taylor. 

Taylor decided to start teaching because of his high school experiences. He loved how many great teachers made a positive impact on his life. Taylor hopes to be a positive influence and role model for his students just like his teachers were to him. 

“I chose to teach technology because I had always had an interest in tearing things apart and rebuilding them to understand how they work,” says Taylor. 

He has always enjoyed working with his hands to solve problems. With technology always evolving, there are always new things for Taylor to analyze.  Taylor’s favorite thing about teaching is seeing how students think differently from one another. 

“I find it fascinating to see how 10 different students come up with 10 different solutions to solve the same problem,” says Taylor. 

Out of all of his Technology classes, Programming is his favorite to teach. Taylor believes that with programming students are able to hone their abstract thinking and problem solving skills. Taylor is a person who loves puzzles and problem solving, so seeing the different approaches that students take to their programming challenges gives him joy. 

Taylor is not only a technology teacher at Pine Grove Area High School but he also helps with the E-Sports program. 

“Through my participation in the E-Sports program and the Concepts of Gaming course being offered during the second semester, I will provide the students with opportunities to increase their problem-solving, strategic, and analytical skills through the hands-on learning experience of gaming,” says Taylor. 

Working along with Mr. Hull, Spanish, hopes to grow and foster an inclusive environment where students can use communication, leadership, and teamwork skills along with building friendships.