Students Getting Enough Sleep

Dane Hannevig, freshman, sleeps in his English class.

Students from 7th period psychology class taught by Mr. Wessner, are talking about how much sleep students get. They did a poll through their class and students talked about how much sleep those students got during 1 week.

“I think the overlying thing is that everyone is sleep deprived in one way or another, students have shown that they are not properly rested,” said Wessner. A healthy student in high school should get up to 8-10 hours of sleep per night, according to the CDC. Students in that 7th period class were shocked by that number because no one gets 10 hours of sleep.

“It doesn’t shock me at all, students are too busy doing other things like social media, video games etc. I think students have enough time to do all the things they need to do. It’s up to the students how they use their time”, said Wessner.

According to the CDC, benefits of students getting enough sleep are: getting sick less often, reducing stress and improving mood. The students collected lots of data involving the average sleep on the weekend and for the weekdays. It showed that females get less sleep than males on the weekend. The average sleep for on the weekdays was 7 hours and the weekend was 7.5 hours. But the overall average for the data is that students get 6 hours of sleep per day.

“Students should get more sleep by getting off their phones before bed, and prepare themselves mentally to sleep” said by Gabi Dubbs, senior.