Program Created for Aspiring Health Professionals

Hannah Reiter

Pictured are some objects that are essential in all areas of healthcare.

Hannah Reiter, Staffer

A fairly recent program has been offered to students from Schuylkill County. A program by the name of Emerging Health Professionals (EHP) has been made for seniors that are either planning or thinking about entering the medical field. EHP offers students a unique way to explore all aspects of the medical field. Not only do students get to explore different careers, they will obtain 8 college credits by the end of the program. “The Emerging Health Program is a valuable opportunity for students focused on a career in Healthcare.  The combination of lecture, skill-based training and clinical experience creates a learning environment that far exceeds standard classroom curriculum.” says John Gradwell, PGA Guidance Counselor.

So, first, students will be interviewed and their transcripts will be looked over to see if they meet the required criteria. Some requirements include, having a 3.0 GPA or higher, having excellent attendance, having letters of recommendations, and complete their high school biology and chemistry classes with a 3.0 GPA or higher. Once students are accepted into the program, they get to take an untraditional route through high school. “It’s an excellent program for any student who wants to get a head start on their college career while seeing first hand what the careers actually do in their day-to-day practice.” says Cyria Hart, teacher of the Emerging Health Professionals program.

Students involved in the program will do half days at their home school. During the mornings on Mondays and Fridays, they will travel to Penn State Schuylkill to take Bio129, which includes a lecture and lab of Anatomy and Physiology. Then, for the first six weeks, on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, students will go the Schuylkill Technology Center, and learn medical terminology, CPR, First Aid, etc. After the six weeks is over, they will only spend one day at STC and two shadowing different professions including Nursing, Physical Therapy, Radiology, Emergency Room, etc. This program gives students an excellent opportunity to explore what they would like to do in their future.