PGAHS Maintenance Crew

Josh Anspach tightening up some bolts in the boiler room.

McKenna Valentine, Staffer

They keep our school clean, running smoothly, and intact. Here at Pine Grove Area High School, we have a great maintenance crew.

Our students pass by the staff everyday but they know so little about them. Josh Anspach, a maintenance worker at Pine Grove Area, maintains the boilers, fixes leaks and pretty much anything else that breaks in our school. “I did plumbing and heating for 20 years,” says Josh. “I decided that I wanted to be closer to home plus I already knew people here.I like working at Pine Grove because I know a lot of the kids.” Covid didn’t affect Josh’s job too much, but he now has to help out with sanitizing and making sure that the teachers have what they need. “My favorite part of my job is plowing snow,” says Josh.

Another member of our maintenance crew is Nolan Hatfield, who is a part of the grounds crew. “My favorite thing about my job is that I get to work outside everyday and I enjoy the people that I work with,” says Nolan. Nolan prepares the fields and tracks for game days, such as the football field, softball field, and the track. “My job wasn’t really affected by covid because grass still grows no matter what,” says Nolan.  “We didn’t work for 6 weeks at the beginning of the pandemic and there were no sports, which was the only real change,” explains Nolan. 

One of our other members of the maintenance crew is Norm Hatfield, who is a custodian at Pine Grove Area High School. “I like the people who I work with and the job is close to home,” says Norm. “Plus I’m alumni from here.” Norm’s daily tasks include cleaning the weight room, mopping halls, taking out the trash, dusting, wiping down tables, and much more. “Covid has made my job a lot more involved due to all of the disinfecting,” stated Norm. “I started subbing at Pine Grove and waited around for 2 years until there was an opening and nowI’m here full time,” explains Norm.