Virtual Cardinals

Jomariz Phillips typing an essay.

Isabella Langkam, Staffer

The Cardinal Virtual Campus, also known as CVC, allows students to have more options regarding the way they receive their education. CVC allows students to work independently, work at their own pace, and stay focused in their academics.

Students can choose to work at home, work in the Pine Grove High School Library, or do a bit of both. A lot of the work is done independently, but the students can still ask questions or ask the teachers at the library for help. Mrs. Hlavaty, the CVC coordinator, and her two teacher assistants, Mrs. Langkam and Mrs. Schneck are at the library to help the students and answer questions. Mrs. Hlavaty says that, “The biggest benefit for the program is that it allows students to be focused, comfortable, and allows them to interact with their peers.” Mrs. Hlavaty says she enjoys working with the students and likes how the students can have flexibility in their schedule. Mrs. Langkam that, “It’s easy for the students to stay focused in the quiet environment that the school provides in the library and I believe it is a great asset to the school. It provides an opportunity for kids to learn at their own pace.”

Dalton Wolff, an 8th grader, “I like when we hand in our work in on time we get to go home when we want.  It’s more of a challenge, but it’s better in the long run because you can work over the summer if you want to.”   Erin Hoffman, a 10th grade student in the CVC program,  “I like doing my work at my own pace and can work ahead if I want to.”  Eleventh grader, Vincent Cheatham, said that “There is less anxiety and more freedom to work at my own pace.” Both of these students enjoy the CVC program and find it easier to stay focused.

CVC allows students can join clubs, sports, or extracurricular activities. They will also receive a high school diploma if they decide to graduate. The students receive the opportunity to meet new people and interact with their peers. The CVC is an academic program that Pine Grove offers and it is a great way for students to learn in a different environment.