Sharing the Message of Aevidum

Kaya Wagner

On November 10th twenty Pine Grove Area Aevidum members attended a talk workshop at Muhlenberg High School. All of the students gathered for a group picture where one student from Muhlenberg and Pine Grove dressed as a banana to show that mental health cannot always be seen as clearly as someone dressed as a banana. “I joined Aevidum to show everyone that I’ve got their back.” said Kyla Koons, Senior. This message is represented by students raising their hands in the picture.

“After being at many Aevidum events. These talk workshops are my favorite, it’s amazing to see different schools from all over the county and state collaborate and discuss mental health. It’s truly empowering,” said Mrs. Cook, Aevidum Adviser.

On Thursday, November 10th, 20 Aevidum members attended a Talk Workshop and served as student leaders at Muhlenberg High School. The Talk serves to teach other schools about the importance of mental health and helps them come up with ways that they can bring the Aevidum program to their own schools. This is done by having student leaders break into small groups with the other school’s students and discussing one of four different parts of Aevidum which include: acceptance, appreciation, acknowledgement, and caring. Each group talks about how their own schools show these four characteristics to their community and how each school can improve itself using these characteristics. The student leaders facilitate these discussions and by the end of the day each group has new ideas and has made new connections with those different then themselves.

By being student leaders at the Muhlenberg Talk, Pine Grove Area students got to talk to other students with different experiences and help these students bring Aevidum to their schools and communities.

Kaitlyn Kaufman, junior, said, “It was interesting hearing everyone’s stories and their experiences.”

Katie Harring, senior, also said, “It was such a pleasure being able to educate all of these other schools on how to start this club and begin impacting their school and community.”

This Talk also gave student leaders the chance to make friendships and talk about their own experiences with mental health and Aevidum at Pine Grove Area.

Nicole Eidem, freshman, said, “I made new friends who I got to talk about my experiences to. It was a little nerve racking but still fun.”

By doing the Talk, everyone from students, to the student leaders, and even club advisers, can benefit. They have the opportunity to collaborate and discuss their experiences and empower everyone to talk about mental health and create a healthy school and a healthy community. The Talk gave everyone a chance to show others that they’ve got your back, and to bring this message back to each of their schools.