PGAHS Volleyball’s Amazing Accomplishment

Logan Zimmerman

PGAHS 2021 varsity’s volleyball team with their newly won citation.

Kolby Geesey, Sports Editor

The Pine Grove Area High School volleyball team was coming off of a successful 2019-2020 Fall season, finishing up with a record of 13-7 and placing 2nd in Schuylkill County. They would be returning many Varsity athletes and had plans the entire off-season to work as hard as possible to make sure this year they came out on top. They would achieve success in the 2020-2021 Fall season and finish with a record of 16-6 and place 2nd in the Schuylkill league, winning a District XI Championship, while placing 4th in the PVCA Class AA state volleyball poll. All while having 2 athletes, Senior Captain Alera Aungst, and Junior Captain Megan Wolfe named to the PVCA all-state team. This was a historic season for the Lady Cardinals Volleyball team and they were honored on Wednesday April 28, by receiving a citation from Matt Stoner from Representative Kerwin’s office. 

Eugeine Kreitzer, the Pine Grove Volleyball coach said, “ That it was an amazing feeling to have these girls recognized for their hard work and dedication. I feel like they handled the current situation, dealing with the Covid-19 Virus very well and they did not let that discourage them. It was upsetting to not have fans for most of the season but it was good to at least get some fans. I just want to say how extremely proud I am of these young ladies and it was a great team to coach.” Richard Dunkleberger, the Vice Principal of Pine Grove had stated, “It truly is a great achievement to be recognized by congressional leaders and I hope that the volleyball players take this moment enjoy it and remember the feeling so they can hopefully have more seasons like this one.

Senior Captain, Alera Aungst said, “Since i was a freshman our goal was to win districts and make it to states and finally doing so was the best way to leave my senior year. We’d lost so many times to that team for the last 4 years and there was no better feeling than taking that victory. Everyone worked so hard to push each other and themselves everyday and it was amazing when it all paid off. As a leader of the team I was proud of all of us and what we’d done, so for us to be recognized the way we were meant everything.” Congratulations to the Pine Grove Lady Cardinals Volleyball team on an amazing season and receiving this citation!