State Archery Tournament

The team gathers together for a picture before the awards ceremony.

“The students shot well. They had a lot of confidence and great form. I am super proud of everyone!” said Dave Mease, coach.

Pine Grove Area Middle and High School Archery teams have been preparing since November to compete in the State Archery Competition. The teams have been practicing every week, attending qualifiers, and scrimmaging other teams to prepare for this competition. The teams finally got to show what they have been working on at the state archery competition, which took place at Spooky Nook Sports Complex in Manheim, PA. The High School team earned a second place finish in the High School division, which is the highest placement in school history. The team had individual top ten finishes by: Hunter McConnell (second place for high school boys), junior; Kaiden Ecternach (fourth place for high school boys), freshman; and Gracie Zerbe (seventh place for high school girls), junior. The High School Archery team will also have a chance to compete in the National Competition later in the year in Louisville, Kentucky.

The Middle School team finished fourth in the Middle School Division with a top ten finish by Evan Moyer (third place for middle school boys), seventh grade.

“To compete at states and finish so high in the competition felt amazing. At that point I knew all the hard work throughout the season paid off,” said Gracie Zerbe, junior.

While Zerbe still has another year of archery, for some this was their last high school competition.

“It’s been a good year we placed second as a high school team and depending if we can raise/get the money we need to go to nationals we will be going to nationals and my past four years the beginning was frustrating bc of Covid but we overcame it and I’m hoping to end it with a good year,” said Kenny Micklo, senior.

While seniors are leaving the team, freshmen have just finished their first high school season, and are hopeful for the next three years.

“It was really fun! A bit nerve racking, since it was my first state competition, but I became less nervous throughout the day. I’m hoping in the next 3 years my averages become higher. I hope I shoot one of the top 3 scores at any competition. Whether it’s states or another competition, I’ll be happy either way!” said Nicole Eidem, freshman.

The State Competition gave some students the chance to wrap up their archery careers, while for others this is just the beginning.